Friday, January 30, 2015

A Challenging Week

TYC went great this week. I spoke this week on the story of Jesus and the adulterer, where He said, “If you haven’t sinned you can throw the first stone.” I was anticipating a lot of talking and interruptions, so I planned a rather short talk, figuring it would spread longer. But the kids were relatively silent! I got through the talk and still had time to explain a little bit more about how Jesus loves the person, He just hates the sin; how Jesus didn’t come to condemn but to save! I was quite blown away by how attentive they were being and how involved they were in the story. I’m really praying that God will continue to bring up questions in their minds about Him. Questions that we know He can answer.


GYC was not nearly as successful, sadly. We’ve been having trouble with them constantly interrupting and talking over each other and us leaders, so I developed a game that would have only a few people able to talk, and getting them to use teamwork. Unfortunately, so many of the children had been misbehaving and loud that we couldn’t even give them all the instructions for the game. So the game flopped, and what was even more of a disappointment was the fact that nobody got the moral of the games. They  didn’t get to the place of understanding the value of their words and how difficult it can be not being able to talk. So I'm praying they will soon understand, despite this past week.

There was one boy in particular who was causing a lot of trouble.He would sneak off whenever he could, and basically reek havoc at every opportunity. But what has bothered me most about his behavior is the things that come out of his mouth. He is not especially cruel to others with his words, but he is able to turn even the most innocent action, word, or toy into some sexual innuendo. While I know the mind of a teenaged/preteenaged boy is not always clean, the way he brings stuff up makes me wonder what has he seen in his short life that he can relate nearly everything back to something sexual? I've tapped him on the shoulder to get his attention before, and he goes on to whine in a joking tone, "She touched me!" This boy is also a loudly proclaimed atheist. Please pray with me that God would do a work in his heart, and help help him through whatever he is dealing with. 

I have heard a lot of bad news this week and it was really starting to get me down. But then I have to remind myself that I don't have to constantly be carrying other people's burdens around, but that I can just give them to God to take care of. I have a hard time remembering that all the time.

Some good news though: Some of you may have heard, but the high school we were meant to go into to start mentoring some kids had shut it's doors to us a few weeks ago, but they called this week and said we can go in after all!!! Praise the Lord!!

Thank you so much for your prayers. They are much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment