Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Midnight Bike Ride

It had just past twelve thirty. I’d left the gathering of friends before the others because I knew I’d have an early morning.

I took off down the bike path that runs along the River Taff heading towards the bay at the end of the river. I could see the buildings across the river reflected in the calm waters. The early March air chilled my face, but the exercise, as well as my thick winter coat kept me warm. You could practically smell spring in the air. Everything was silent except for the soft creaks of the bicycle, the sound of the rubber on the pavement and the occasional seagull crying out overhead. It seemed as if the whole world was asleep. It was just me, with the moon to keep me company. The moonlight shone brightly, illuminating the path around me. Farther along the river I could see the city lights shining twice over, firstly from above the waters, and secondly from beneath. I basked in the moonlight as I peddled myself closer to home and a warm bed. The thing that kept going over and over in my head as I witnessed this midnight beauty was a prayer of thanks; thanks to the One who created the earth and everything in it. I gave thanks to the Loving One who has gifted me with the blessing of experiencing His beauty.

As I finish writing this, I know that soon I will be tucked away under my covers, awaiting the sweetness of slumber. And as I drift away, I will be saying one last “thank you, Jesus” before my day comes to a close.

While it seems like Jesus was involved in very little of this, I know that without Him, I wouldn’t even be here right now. This week I’ve been reminded of everything I’ve taken for granted. Everything from people’s kindness towards me, to God providing and bringing me to Cardiff in the first place. This is an adventure I could only have dreamt of, and so many things in it were set too perfectly to have been a coincidence. I know that only the Hand of God could have orchestrated this journey so well. …and yet I found myself complaining.

Since this realization of these many blessings God has poured over me, I’ve started an experiment; a thankful heart experiment. I have set my phone’s alarm to go off every quarter hour, and when I feel the vibration, I am reminded to be grateful for what I have and to say a prayer of thanks to God. I’ve only been doing this for the past two days, but I’ve found that already I am a happier person in general.


I’d encourage you to try this experiment for yourself. See what it does for you. But more than that, say thank you to the God who gives us blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment