Monday, July 14, 2014

Faith, Trust, and... Ephesians 3:20

As a child, one of my favorite stories was the story of Peter Pan, the boy who never grew up. In this story, the only way the children could fly was to have "Faith, trust and pixie-dust." 

I was recently thinking of this phrase and realized that being obedient to God involves the first two things needed to fly: Faith and Trust. Now I know that God doesn't go around sprinkling fairy dust onto His followers (most the the time ;), but He does give us another sort of power. God gave us the Holy Spirit to live in us and to guide us. This is the same Spirit that raised Christ from the dead. (Romans 8:11) And with this Spirit "God is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we can ask or imagine, according to the resurrection power at work in us" Ephesians 3:20. If God can go above and beyond what I can ask or imagine, then why can't I fly?

Though I know God could make me fly if He wanted to, right now He has another mission for me. I'm going to Wales. For a whole year. I'm a bit nervous about it, but I know that God's got me. That's where the trust comes in. 

Now the faith will be a bit more challenging. "Faith without action is dead" James 2:14-26. That means that sometimes you have to take action and leap without seeing beforehand where you'll land. I have no idea where I'm going to land during this adventure, and I don't know where the money will come from to support me. But I'm buying a plane ticket and boarding the plane, having faith and trusting that God will provide for His own work to be done. 

I know that God can do all things, and that I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength (Philippians 4:13). So I'm going to take the leap of faith. I'm going to jump and not see where I'm landing. But I will have faith and trust in God, and I know that if He doesn't let me land, He'll sprinkle me with His pixie-dust. So it's in obedience to God that I use these ingredients.....

And fly!

1 comment: