Wednesday, May 20, 2015

An Evening of Dancing and Mummies

So we had an impromptu dance workshop at club last night. I was getting a lift from one of the leaders last night on the way to GYC when she mentioned that she just found out that I can dance. She then asked if I would do dance with our kids that night.

Ordinarily I would have felt hesitant and unprepared, but since I'd done the dance class in Tremorfa that dance was still in my mind, so I said yes. Then I realized that I was even more prepared than usual, because on that particular night I hadn't had a chance to run home and drop off my work stuff, so I had my laptop with my music and everything on it!

It went great! The kids were mostly getting into it and some of the other volunteers were getting involved as well, making everyone feel comfortable. We started out warming up with the Drive the Bus song/dance, which anyone from my home church can tell you is a boat load of fun and goofiness. It's a dance made entirely of the cheesiest dance moves out there. Things like the "Shopping cart" or "Sprinkler". It makes everyone look like a fool, but that's the best kind of fun: when everyone looks so silly that no one can criticize.

We went on to learn a dance to the song "Never Alone" by Barlowgirl. Some of the younger girls were very enthusiastic to learn these new moves, but their energy made them jump up and down while trying to do the moves, resulting in a bit of chaos. And some of the older girls were outright saying that they couldn't do it, but when I watched them attempt the moves, they did it either spot on or just a slight adjustment would make it spot on. 

 Later, during the God slot, we ran through the mummy game. We divided the kids into two teams and had the teams compete to make the best mummy by wrapping toilet paper around one of their teammates. 

It was good fun, and all in all it was a great night with a great message. 

At one point we separated into groups to talk and pray. And in this time one of the girls in my group went off explaining everything Christians believe about the Gospel. She said that Jesus died so that we can go to Heaven. I interrupted her at this point to say that even though Jesus paid the price for our sins, forgiveness and Heaven are gifts that need to be accepted to be of any good. I asked her and the other girl if they've accepted this gift yet. The girl, who was first explaining all about the Gospel, immediately said that she doesn't believe in God. She said that she's just interested in Religious studies. 

The other girl said that she's a Christian. She said that she's a Christian because she was christened as a baby. We tried to explain that that isn't what makes you a Christian, but accepting Christ for yourself is what makes you a Christian. I don't know if either girl understood the ultimate message.

Please pray that God would work in the hearts and lives of these kids. Pray for revival in their individual lives as well as in this nation. Thank you so much for your prayers. God is really doing something.

No comments:

Post a Comment