Monday, June 29, 2015

A Spiritual Debate with a 60 Something, Muslim Philosopher

The other day I was in Cardiff city centre waiting for a friend who I knew would come in about an hour. With the coffee shops and stores beginning to close, I wandered around looking for something to do. I found myself in the library looking for anything interesting when I heard over the loudspeaker that the library was about to close as well. As I made my way to the door, I was walking beside an older gentleman who was also on his way out. 

I'm not exactly sure how the conversation got started, but it was probably along the lines of him asking if I was a student (a question I get asked often when people see me toting my giant backpack). I told him that no, I'm not a student, I'm an intern. He asked if I would get a career out of this internship and I told him that no, once my visa expires I have to flee the country *wink*. He asked what I was interning for and I told him I was in youth ministry. You could see the mental walls go up as he confirmed what he'd heard "Ah, you're into religion."

We had gotten onto different subjects, such as his studies on philosophy, science, and human nature. When he tired of talking about himself, he asked me if I would go to school or university and I told him that I wasn't planning on it unless God leads me there. He stopped and looked at me saying that if I want to live I have to get a good education and career to have money! I told him that "Ah, but that's the world's thinking! I'm living by Kingdom thinking and I know that God will take care of all of my needs when I live in obedience to Him."

Now this guy looked middle eastern and was very likely to be muslim, so I couldn't believe I had so blatantly stated my absolute trust in God and Kingdom thinking to this man who could potentially get very offended. He was taken aback that I would put my future and everything in the hands of a God that he didn't really believes exists.

He told me that he was a practicing muslim to honour his mother's dying wish, but in actuality he is an atheist. He said that his religion is simply a social thing for him.

He tried to convince me that everyone can have their beliefs but that shouldn't dictate how you live your life. That you still need to make plans for how to make a living and have a career. He went on to say that he thinks that religion is a form of slavery. That it tells you what to do and how to live. He gave me an example of what a life without God or religion would look like, how you can do what you want, make your own life choices and get to do anything without having to consult with this "being in the sky". Independence! He asked what I thought of that. I replied that it sounded lonesome. I told him that being with God isn't a form of slavery, but rather a caring relationship.

I gave him the example of a child/parent relationship. The parent is there to care for and nurture the child. Any rules the parent gives is usually in the child's best interest, even when the child doesn't see it that way. I asked my new friend if he would consider this slavery or son-ship? His response was that a child will then grow up and be able to take care of themselves. I agreed, but retorted that we will never grow up to have the same knowledge and wisdom of God. To Him, we are all like children. He wants to take care of us like a loving Father, if we let Him.

My friend still wasn't finished with his religion=slavery argument. He said that while God might want to take care of us, we still have to work to get in His favour; that I'm giving my life for God's service to get to Heaven. I told him that actually, I do this out of choice. I told him that I know that if I were to die right here right now I would go to Heaven, not because of what I did, but because of what Christ did for me and because I have accepted Christ's sacrifice. My friend was stunned! He couldn't believe that I could have that kind of confidence that I will go to Heaven, whether I work for God or not!

He tried to bend my words to say that I'm working over here because the more people I convert the better God will like me. I told him that I do this entirely out of love for my God and for the people I try to help. I told him that God loves everybody unconditionally and God wants everyone to go to Heaven. He said that nobody loves everybody like that and nobody can love anybody unconditionally. I brought up the example of the parent/child relationship again. I reminded him that a parent will love a child, no matter what they do; even if they don't condone what their child does, they will still love them. My friend agreed with me. He said he knows that a mother will fight for her child even if she knows he's guilty.

He had to pause for a bit to put together a new argument. He then asked "What about the muslims and the hindus and budists, etc. etc. etc. You can't say there's just one God." I told him that I'm not one of those politically correct people who says that everyone can believe what they want and be fine. I told him that I believe the truth is the truth whether you believe it or not and I've seen enough proof of my God to know whom I serve. I've seen God do miraculous things that no scientist or person of the world would believe possible.

My friend was shocked yet again. He argued that God can't be measured or proved. He started rambling about how you can't prove something that has no substance. I interrupted to ask if I could tell him a story: there are two babies in the womb. One says to the other, "Do you think there's life outside of this?" the other replies, "No. This is all there's ever been. Have you seen anything different than what you've seen here?" 

I told my friend that you don't know what you don't know. If you don't know what you're missing, then you don't know to look for it. 

The hour of waiting was up and the friend I had been meeting walked up to us. I introduced my two friends, then bid farewell to the newest one. As he said goodbye, he asked that I keep my mind more open to other possibilities. I replied that he should do the same. He still looked concerned for me, like he was afraid that I'll throw my life away working for a God that he cannot prove. He thought I was a kid with pie in the sky chances of succeeding. But I don't mind. From this worldly perspective, I may not be the most successful, but from God's perspective, obedience is what success looks like. I know that my God will take care of me. I've seen Him provide in ways I never would have thought of. 

None of our conversation was harsh or said unkindly. It was all very sensible. This man was willing to listen to my arguments, just as much as I listened to his. This man is truly after knowledge and truth, he's just been searching for truth from a purely scientific and atheistic perspective.

I don't know what's happened in this man's heart since our conversation, but I do know that God was doing something in Him. This is what my church family calls a "Divine Appointment". This was a "chance" meeting, set up by God to open my friend's mind up to the possibility of a loving and caring God. I pray that the seed that's been planted will spring up and help this gentleman come to realize who God really is, with or without scientific proof.

No comments:

Post a Comment