Monday, June 15, 2015

The Beginning of the End

This last week was our last meeting at GCY. We had a couple of group games and pizza and cakes. It was fun when everyone joined in.

Unfortunately towards the end, a bunch of the kids thought it would be a good idea to go up to the "forbidden" balcony. The reason nobody's allowed up there is because it is a very very old church balcony and the steps up there are shallow and the railing isn't very high and it's just overall not the safest place to be. But of course, the kids wanted to play a game of "catch me" up there... and these were the 15 year olds! Then the younger ones caught on to how fun the game looked and they wanted to join as well. There were 3 ways to get up there, so there wasn't really a good way to block all the ways at once, so we ended up just telling them to be extremely careful and to come down. But to these kids, words aren't worth much. So yelling at them and telling them to be careful had little effect. After a while, I knew words weren't doing any good, so I just stopped trying to get them down. I knew it was becoming more like a challenge than a warning.

Thankfully, we had no injuries, despite the rampant behavior. I found it frustrating though, that my last time with most of these kids ended with people yelling at each other and trying to stop the kids from walking out of the church with things belonging to the church. A few of the kids heard that this would be my last time with them and they came up to give me a goodbye hug, but most just left with friends. I was handed a card before I left that I read when I got home. It was signed by the other volunteers and some of the kids, some of whom I was frustrated with earlier. Reading the kids' notes, I could see that even though they like to push buttons, they still liked having me there, which I find comforting. It's good to know that not all my effort has been in vain.

On Friday, I taught dance at the local Girls' Brigade meeting. I taught a cutesy little ballet piece to the 5-8 year-olds and a hip hop number to the older girls (courtesy of a friend, whose choreography I used *with permission*). Some of the girls got really into it and they wanted your full attention the entire class, while others wanted to just fade away into the background. I did what I could with the time I had, but what I really got out of it was that some of the girls in the older group were really into dance and they wanted to do more. So hopefully, if I do any more dance stuff in the future, I can invite these girls to come and learn more.

I did receive some sad news this week: my sister wasn't able to fly in today because of passport issues. Please pray that all of that stuff is worked out in time for her to come on Saturday with a group from my home church.

Please join me in praying for these kids in the GYC who have yet to understand the Father's love for them. I may not see them again on earth, but I'm praying that I will see them in eternity. Pray that these avid atheists would come to see the Light.

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning." James 1:17

No comments:

Post a Comment